Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Friday, November 7, 2008

a little Rusty

I wrote this piece early this morning. It was simple. It was direct. But it is not what I wanted to say. Well, maybe it was one side of what I wanted to say, but this is another side that I will leave on my blog. What I want to say is that things aren't black and white - they are all shades of gray. And although both Steve and I are 99% easygoing, when that 1% falls in opposite corners, the fur flies. That's how it's always been, and I know this, but it's interesting that it keeps coming up. Over and over again. Yes, they are all wonderful opportunities to look at unfinished business, but sometimes, just sometimes, I'd like it just to be easy. But how could it necessarily be easy when you're in close community with a husband, 4 children, two dogs, one fish, two hermit crabs, one turtle and one cat? On some levels, yes, we can MAKE our lives easy, but it's complex, those webs of connection between us all. How do we treat each other? How do we see each other? What makes us stay?

So I wanted to talk about our elderly dog Rusty who is in a lot of pain, and I wanted to talk about the difficult decisions around the end of his life, and how we all want that to look. And about how we all see things differently. And that's okay. The key seems to be how to all live with those decisions.

No comments: