Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

time

I'm almost done transcribing Dad's letters - there were over 250 in all. And even though I type fast, it still took a long time. Now we start the big work of putting everything together into one fabulous book of memoirs. I'm so excited to do this for Dad (and Mom), but even more than that, I think it's fascinating to read what his world was like back in the mid 1940's. One thing that struck me today as I was typing was a book he'd been reading, in which the author was talking about his fears for "today's youth." Here's an excerpt from that letter:

"I think you would be surprised at the general attitude of many cadets about such a subject as morals, for example. Some author I read a short time ago felt the whole nation of youth especially was heading toward their new (so-called) idea of doing whatever gives you pleasure – satisfies your thirsts, etc. I never have objected to smoking, drinking, and even to a lot worse things that others did. But when a large number of men of a high class institution (!) behave as these men on my table do with no second thought whatever – kind of makes me wonder what is happening in the world. I’d like to see these same men 20 years from now. Maybe that would show the answer."

So, 20 years from then would be 1964, when I was 4. These young cadets would now maybe be parents with children, and does that change everything? How have we, as a whole society, changed since 1944? It seems sometimes that we always have the same questions and concerns. I know I'm worried about kids today - who are their mentors, what are their values, what are their passions? I see no mentors, or maybe Jackass, or somebody like that, I see values sort of like "well, everybody's doing it, and things are different than when you were growing up, Mom - you don't understand - the pressures are MUCH greater than when you were young. Their passions? Sometimes I see just wanting to have fun, watching tv, playing video games (yes, I do those three things, as well, but not as my MAIN passions), drinking, smoking, sex, and drugs (and some pretty heavy drugs, if what I'm hearing is true), so you ask me if I think we're in trouble, and maybe some other day I would be prone to say yes, but today, right now, I think this is true:

I think we're in a new place, and I think part of the reason that kids are in "trouble" today is that they've been waiting for us adults to catch up, to take charge of our lives and of the earth, do what we say we're going to do, and be leaders. I think we're doing that, and I think that transition has made it easier for our kids to grow up into themselves, as well - the enlightenment process is retroactive. As I heal, I heal my ancestors and my children, and my children's children - all the way back on the family tree and forward. So the kids are MORE than okay - they're just where they need to be. They're learning their lessons (albeit some of them are learning the REALLY hard way - that's okay, too - I'm a hard learner as well), and hopefully learning from them, they're figuring out HOW they want to be, along with WHO they want to be, in this world. And I think the world will go on, but in a new, more gentle way.

I think these same kids that we're worried about today will be the visionary leaders of tomorrow. They are the ones who demand to know WHY, who hold us accountable for our actions, who won't back down, so now the momentum is moving us onward and upward, and it's all right, and it's about time.

Right now it's time to get dressed for the Goddess Party - I'll post pictures tomorrow, I promise. There will be singing, eating, laughing, hand massages, and special bracelets for some pretty special women. Here's to friends, here's to connections, and here's to love, in its myriad of forms.

No comments: