Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Saturday, October 13, 2007

know your numbers

First of all, what are the odds that BOTH of my computers die at the same time? In my world, that is a clear sign that I need to step away from the internet for a little breather. So ... after a LONG hiatus, I have one of my computers up and limping until I can get a new one.

Exactly a year ago I had my annual physical and the results weren't that bad. But I was worried about my blood sugar (103), and wondering about my HDL (43) and my LDL (130) and triglycerides (75). We're supposed to "know our numbers," which are blood pressure, blood glucose, HDL, LDL, total cholesterol, triglycerides, and hey, let's toss in CRP just for fun. So I spent the last year concentrating on good nutrition (some say I am a tad obsessed, but hey, it's all for the health of me and my family), exercise, de-stressing, and overall lightening up and having a grand time. I would say I've accomplished all of the above - I live a clean life, I've cut back on my workaholic tendencies to working manageable hours and still getting to be at home most nights and weekends (and I'm making MORE money than at this time last year - go figure). So when I "got my numbers," Trish, my smart naturopath was mildly flabbergasted, I think. My HDL went up 15 points, my LDL went down 20 points, my triglycerides went down 13 points, total cholesterol went down 17 points, my blood sugar went down 6 points, and my CRP numbers didn't even register. Why do I care? Because it was ALL done with nutrition, my friends, no prescription drugs, no operations, just a tad of supplements (I won't bore with you a list, but it's the typical Omega 3, calcium stuff), and moderate living all around. I'm happy, deeply happy, satisfied, calm, peaceful, and almost always blissfully happy, no matter what's going on in the rest of the world.

I'm watching my mom die from complications due to heart problems and diabetes, and I am convinced that good nutrition and a healthier lifestyle could have saved my mom a whole lot of heartache (for us, her family, also). So I care - yes, I care a lot, and I'm asked if I will lighten up now that I got "good numbers" and I think, "Heck no - I'm only getting started," because you see, when I get passionate about something, I don't ever quit - I enter fully into it, embrace it, OWN it, and this new world of nutrition and natural health has lit a roaring fire inside of me that will never be quenched. I am well into my studies in holistic nutrition, and anxious to put it all into practice. I'm bringing in food and letting the kids in Bill's class cook a whole fabulous organic meal so they can see what all the fuss is about. I'm speaking about the importance of loving your body and treating it as you would your best Beloved in all of my classes and workshops now. And I'm talking to people - if you thought I was chatty before, well, now I can't seem to shut up. It's new, I know, but it's more than that. I think it's not only important for all of us to talk about this, but I think it's essential to our survival. If we don't know, we get sick and hurt a lot. And I don't think that's what we're supposed to be doing here this time around. I think we're here to feel fabulous, energetic, bouncy, and happy. I can't stop dancing (literally - you should see me), and I am happy. I'm happy I know my numbers, and I'm happy my numbers are "textbook healthy." I'm happy my husband and children are getting healthier along with me, and I'm happy that I'm so excited about it all. And that's all I'm going to say about that ...

No comments: