Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Monday, September 24, 2007

getting in the game

They were a little bigger than us, and a little younger, I think. The game started, and someone passed me the ball under the hoop. I reached out to get it, but missed. I thought, "it must be because I'm so old." The game continued. I ran down the court and got a good rebound, passed it out, and headed to the basket. I was on a breakaway, and I was in front of everyone. My teammate lobbed the ball to me, and when I looked up to shoot, I had no idea where the basket was, but managed to twirl in mid-air and make the shot.

The coach called a time-out. "We're too old," I said. "I'm 47."

"It's okay," he said. "You can do it, you're strong, and fast, and good."

Yeah, and old, I thought, but said to myself, "I may be old, but I'm going to get all of the passes, and make all of the shots.

The game continued, and I found myself moving faster, able to keep up with the energy and pace of the game. My age difference melted away until I was 21 again - fast, strong, and good.

I knew it was a dream even while I was in it, and in all of these basketball game dreams I am too old, too slow, and something always goes wrong so I can't play the game. That was always sad to me, because basketball represented all that was right about me, all that I was capable of, all that was possible. So whenenever I dreamed that I couldn't play anymore, I somehow thought that had some meaning for my life right now, and I didn't like what I was dreaming.

But last night was different - I ran fast, I caught the ball, I made my shots. I was fully suited up (no lost shoes or uniform), I wanted to play. So something has shifted, and I'm glad I no longer think I'm too old to play the game. I'm IN the game, and I'm playing well. And that feels really really good.

No comments: