Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

outrunning my demons

It's funny how small it starts, with just one glance at a freshly-trimmed willow tree. I see my beloved horse Vinny with his dorky bangs that I've just cut straight across, like the hanging limbs of the willow tree. I miss him still - he died in a field over a year ago, alone. I feel the march of grief start its advance toward me, and I gently reach out and touch the future of my mom not being here, and I can't see through my tears. It's instant. Why is it that I can't just let it all be? But I can't, so I breathe, and start to jog, a little slowly at first. It doesn't help that much. I concentrate on my regular breaths, take deeper ones, jog in rhythm to "Every time we Touch" by Cascada. I speed up. I'm not in good shape, my lungs start to burn right away, so I slow down, still tracking my breath. C'mon, little endorphins, kick in with those ol' good feeling chemicals, c'mon, c'mon, ah, that's better. I round the corner on 15th Avenue and feel more steady, more stable.

I decide to call all those who've died into my energy field. Surround me, I say. Let me feel you there. I feel a solidness around me, a denseness, like a warm wall. I thank them and keep walking. I add Mom in there, Dad, too, and all of those people and animals that I keep a home in my heart for, and I think this is all very real, and what I want to keep concentrating on, because otherwise my hearts hurts too much to think of the separation, the endings, all the endings. I tried to outrun my demons, but I think I cannot outrun them, and I think they are not demons after all. They're just a part of my life, a part of the whole picture, they just ARE. If I try to run away from them, I'll be running forever. So I stop running, and slow back down to my walk, breathing, breathing.

I ask for a word of the day for myself, and I hear "fecundity." I know the word, but I remember it having something to do with gardening. I look it up. It comes from the Latin word "fecundus" which means "feminine." It means "prolific, intellecutally productive or inventive to a marked degree, fertile." Fecundity is a noun, so that's probably what it is all about today - fecundity. I will hold that word in my pocket today, and think of how it relates to how I'm feeling, and what today is about.

No comments: