Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Friday, May 23, 2008

don't step on a crack...


..but this was SO worth it!!!

or you'll break your mother's back. Oops - too late, kids! How many steps past the breaking point did I walk? About three, I'm thinking, but it's STILL okay, because I made those choices consciously and fully awake, knowing the toll they would take on my body. Why, then, you ask, would I still willingly do those things that would be too much for me to handle? Because they involved activities that were timely (going to Bismarck with Kari to see Grammy and Bapa for maybe the last time), the Marathon (once a year here in Fargo), hostessing the whole Krohn family (again, once a year for the marathon - fun times!). Is it all good? Yes. Was it too much? Yes. But it's still okay.

My back has never hurt so much as it did yesterday. I could not walk. My right leg was numb, and shooting pains kept, well, shooting down both of my legs. I rested as much as possible, heating padded it, watched 101 Greatest Hollywood Secrets (it took 4 hours, but let me tell you, it was WELL worth it - Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction at the Super Bowl was number 1, in case you were wondering).

Why even blog about this? Because I think there's a fine line between just doing things because you don't think about it, or think you HAVE to, or because they're on your list, and doing them because you realize that while doing them all may be TOO much, you still choose to do them, so you do, then you work with the consequences, which for me include a lot of peppermint tea and rest. And that's okay, isn't it? We've got the whole weekend stretching before us, my only goal being to fill the containers on the front porch with beautiful flowers. That's a lofty goal, but achievable, I think. If not, that can wait, because the whole summer, while already filled with events and activities, still stretches gloriously in front of us, just waiting for the sun and the hammock and the fresh sun tea. Ah... I'm going to take a nap.

No comments: