Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

You remember me, but who am I? A short story

While this trip was memorable on so many levels, I will spread out the stories over the next few days. I start with the one called, "You remember me, but who am I?" because it so amazing to me how this kept happening the whole 4 days we were gone.

Part One: We checked into the hotel with the water park, and I gave my driver's license to the attendee to get a locker. Thinking we would come back later, I kept the key. We didn't come back, and headed to the Mall of America.

Part Two: Bill and I and Kari went to look at hermit crabs (they're so friendly at the kiosk on the west side). We wanted to go on rides first, so the young man told us he'd wait as long as possible (it was almost closing time) in case we wanted to come back. Amazingly, he WAS still open. As we walked toward him, the young Spanish man at the hair extension kiosk NEXT to him said, "Hello, lovely lady - I can't believe you've come back!" "How in the world did he remember me?" I asked Hermit Crab boy. "It's because I'm 7 feet tall, isn't it?" "No - that's not it," Hermit Crab boy said.

Part Three: We then went to H&M to buy Kari some clothes for her Cyprus trip. Jamar waited on us. I handed him my Master Card that read "Photo ID required" in the signature line, and he asked to see my ID. My driver's license! I explained about the water park, then showed him my Macy's card (signed), my business card (with my picture on it), my blank checks, and all of my family photos. Jamar let me charge anyway. I promised to get my license back.

Part Four: We went back to the hotel. I went to get my driver's license that they'd stored in a giant notebook. I saw me, and pointed at my picture. "That's not you," he said, looking at me suspiciously. "Uhm, I was a lot fatter in that picture, but yes, it's me," I said patiently. "That's not you," he said, and kept flipping through the book. I waited until he got to the end, and there were no more cards. He flipped back to the page with my license on it, and quietly took it out, mumbling something that sounded like, "Well, it sure doesn't LOOK like you." I put it in my jean's pocket.

The next morning I put on my cute green shorts and we headed back to the mall. We went BACK to H&M to buy clothes for Erik and Bill, and Jamar was there! When he saw us, he said "Hello - you're back!" "How did you remember us?" I asked. "It's not hard to remember you," he replied. "Because I'm like 7 feet tall?" I laughed. "No - that's not it," he said. "I brought my license," I said proudly. "That's all right," he said, "I trust you." I pulled out my wallet, then remembered ... my license was in my jeans back at the hotel. Unbelievable! Another day without any ID? Seriously...

Part Five: Nobody checked my ID for the rest of our mall visit. Oh, except the girl at Legos - but I pulled out all my usual stuff and she relented. We left for the dentist (100 mile trip), but decided to return to the mall to meet Kari and Erik for dinner and a haircut (sort of like dinner and a movie, but with more hair involved).

Part Six: Bill and I are walking through the Nickelodeon Universe, and a woman yells at me. "Madam, were you here early this morning?" "Yes, I was, then we left, and now we're back," I explained. "We were standing in line right after you, getting tickets, and there was an extra one there - was it yours? We've been looking for you all day to give it back." I explained that we had our ticket, then asked her how she possibly remembered me. "It wasn't hard," she explained. "Is it because I'm like 7 feet tall?" I asked. "No, that's not it," she explained, but didn't elaborate.

I'm serious. Three people all said the same thing. "No, that's not it." One person insisted I wasn't who I said I was, given the evidence of a picture. Twice I "forgot" to take my ID with me, so I couldn't PROVE who I was. I'm not quite sure what all of this means, but I'm quite sure it means something, so I'll take some time to figure it out. Or not.

Tomorrow? All about Kari.

No comments: