Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Sunday, July 20, 2008

black duck


Billy by the guest cabin (before the fireflies came out!)

Billy and Uncle Jerr on the 6 wheeler - hang on, boys!

We started out at Summerhill Farms - wild rice soup and pie. Then up to Bemidji Woolen Mills. How many more mittens and hats can one family buy? Well, a few more, it appears. Then on to Uncle Jerr's and Aunt Helen's house at Blackduck. Uncle Jerr is my dad's younger brother, the only living blood Dad has. I love Uncle Jerr - he looks like Dad, and even sounds like him. They built a cabin near the original site of the cabin that Dad went to for most of his life, right at the edge of the wilderness. Helen had cooked an amazing tarragon chicken, and we ate it all up. Billy Boy was his usual charming self, we laughed a lot, we went out for a boat ride, then Jerr let Bill ride behind him on the 6-wheeler to our guest cabin. We came back at 10 so Billy could do the Trust Walk on the path to their home (he made it!), then we turned off all the lights at our cabin to watch the fireflies. Gosh, I love fireflies almost more than anything else on earth (besides fingernail moons) - they're pure, unadulterated magic to me. We tried to catch one to put in a jar, but it was comical watching Bill and me out on the lawn - it's lit, grab it! It's dark, where did it go? There it is - grab it. It's dark, where did it go? Over there... on and on. We gave up. Then we heard the loon - another lovely sound. We went to bed with the almost full moon shining through the window. And no sounds. No noise. No highway in our backyard, no light pollution, just... quiet. I loved it - my soul felt so peaceful.

I was fine until we entered Fargo again, then I started feeling heavy, and tears sprang to my eyes. Why? No reason in particular, but I thought it was interesting that I hadn't cried about Mom for almost two days, until we got back home. Maybe I need to leave more often? Maybe I shouldn't leave for a while? It's interesting, anyway, but I'm glad we got out for a little trip, seeing as there are only a few more weeks of summer left. Sigh.

No comments: