Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Mom's eulogy

Do not mistake Marietta Ekberg for an ordinary person. Do not think she as just a mother, or a wife, or a daughter, or a friend. Do not assume she was just a therapist, or a writer, or an inspiration to all who had the privilege of knowing her. It's true, she WAS all of these things, but it was the WAY she lived all of these parts that made her so extraordinary.

She was a mother who rocked her children, who held them and told them always that she loved them. She was a loving and devoted wife for over 63 years - she knew her husband's soul, and carried it with her, and will continue to carry it with her on her next adventure.

She was a loved only child, who knew from a very young age what was important to her - having a large family and loving them all. Mom was one of the most generous people I have ever known, and her kindness has inspired me in countless ways. From giving an elderly woman a ride in a blizzard, to later bringing her bread and checking in on her for years, to funding college for young people who might otherwise not have afforded to go, to setting up a fun fund for church members, to sending flowers and cards on friends' birthdays and anniversaries.

Her steadfast dedication to connecting with others and creating a better world are among her crowning achievements, in my opinion. Her positive attitude has been an inspiration in my life, as well. When I was well planted in grade school, she enrolled at NDSU and commuted to become North Dakota's first certified family therapist, no small feat with four children still at home. And even through her health challenges, she kept her sense of humor, joking with nurses and doctors. Last summer when she left the hospital, there was a group of nurses that all stopped by to say good-bye. Her favorite emergency room doctor called us after he'd heard that she had died, and told us how much she'd meant to him. That's how loved she is. She always said thank you for everyone's help, and was ready with her sweet smile. The day before she died, I told her I loved her as I was walking out the door, and she blew two kisses to me. Unbelievable. If I stop to think about it, I'm sure she touched hundreds of thousands of lives through her work, her friends, her writing, and community service.

There are those who are born and live simple lives, there are those who live smaller lives, and then there is Marietta Meyer Ekberg. She lived a good life, she lived a full lie, and I know she can hear me right now when I say, "Good job, Mom. You did it."

We will miss you so much, but I will especially miss calling you and hearing your voice. I will miss asking for your advice, I will miss hearing your stories (even if I've heard them before), I will miss you asking me if you can have one of my French fries, I will miss touching your soft skin and hugging you. But in this incredible territory of love, I know that we are always together. Death doesn't even begin to touch that. We know that you are still with us. And YOU know how deeply you are loved. I love you, Mom. Kiss Kiss.

No comments: