Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Friday, July 18, 2008

Mr. President...

the strange dreams continue. Last night I was friends with the President, only it wasn't George W. - it was a younger, dark-haired man. He was very kind, and we just liked hanging out together. This isn't the first strange dream over the past weeks. I can't even remember any of the others - they fade with the morning sun. I still can't sleep - Billy got up at 7 this morning and wanted to stay up. I wore my cute blue and green dress for two days in a row. Even I'M starting to worry a little. I sat and needlepointed for three hours, couldn't seem to get going today. I DID make the rhubarb crunch to bring to Uncle Jerr's tomorrow, but I feel like I'm swimming underwater, and I can't come up for air.

I went to the street fair, but in the midst of the people I suddenly felt all alone, lonely, even. Is that silly? I thought, "None of these people knew my mom - none of them know she's gone," then I started crying (again). Thank goodness I was wearing my sunglasses - you can't see my eyes. I'm fine, really, I am - it just feels like a strong pair of hands is holding me down, and I know that's the description of depression, but I'm not depressed, really, I'm not. I've got a lot of energy, but I just want my mom here. I want her with Dad - I know he misses her, and I try not to take on his stuff, too, but it's hard sometimes when I'm so empathetic and I love them both so much. How to navigate it all? One breath at a time, one thought at a time. Now it's okay, now I'm sad. I still miss her. I say it out loud, and Bill says sagely, "Don't think about her." Well. I hadn't thought of that before - maybe I'll try it.

What could that dream possibly mean, if anything? That I have dreams of grandeur? That I think I'm cool enough to be friends with the President? Maybe it's just a dream? I liked it, I won't lie, I like being friends with powerful people, if only in my dreams. In the meantime, I pick my way carefully over this current terrain. It feels like I could fall off the side of the mountain if I don't watch what I'm doing, so I try to stay as conscious as possible, and try to remember to breathe.

No comments: