Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Monday, July 28, 2008

South Dakota

We're here. I must say, the middle part of South Dakota looks awfully like the middle part of North Dakota, but once you hit 90, after Wall Drug, wow. It's so hilly. I don't mean to sound silly (or rhyme), but I haven't been here in 15 years, and I can't remember any part of that trip except Methusala, the 135 year old tortoise at Reptile World (she's still there!). Yesterday was a strange day - almost 100 degrees (that's not the strange part), but driving around and feeling SO exhausted and yes, queasy again. I keep wondering what's wrong with me, then I think maybe nothing's wrong with me, I just haven't slowed down a single iota since Mom died, and my body's probably just protesting a little. I don't blame them (yes, I call my body "them," as there are several distinct parts that talk and work together, so it's a multiple relationship). I'll try to rest and be a little more mindful when I get home later this week.

We went to Watiki Water Park the night we came here, and I've noticed an interesting phenomenon. When I'm surrounded with a lot of people, especially when they're laughing and having a great time, I get overcome with sadness over Mom, missing her. I've noticed this before, but had to sit with a towel in front of my face so I could cry quietly and not feel too stupid. It's getting better, really it is, but when I look in the mirror, especially in the morning, I look kind of like hell. I've got dark circles under my eyes, and my eyes look smaller. I'm not just saying this - Bill mentioned it, and he just doesn't lie, little enlightened being that he is. Sigh. Enough of that. What I want to say is that the trees are beautiful and clean and the mountains are steep and I love to look over the edge and admire the scenery (when I'm not driving). People are friendly, and we're meeting people from all over the country. People love to talk and connect, and I love that about life. I love reading Harry Potter to Bill, and wrestling with he and Steve, I love laughing about speaking Pig Latin and not understanding what anyone's saying because we've made up a new language, I love holding hands with Bill and Steve and walking, sharing this life with these two amazing men.

There are 6 family members who are my heart, my blood and my center - Mom and Dad, Steve, Kari, Erik and Bill. I have something planned, but the basis is these 6. I'll keep working on it, and share when I've figured it out. The sky is cloudy (maybe that will lower the temp? Please?), and we are heading to breakfast, then off to our day. I'm still wearing my white Converse tennies, and my Chicos blue jean capris, and Dad's hat that he gave me. It's all stained, but it's Dad's, so it was on my head most of yesterday, and will probably be there today, as well. On with vacation - I'll try to write as soon as I can.

No comments: