Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Friday, January 18, 2008

and the walls come tumbling down...

Bill and I are sitting on a blowup two-seater sled in the front room. We're back to back, each reading our respective books. He, "Ice Fire" and me "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." It was a hard day yesterday, I'm not going to lie. I won't go into the details, but there were some loud words, some tears, and some hearts beating fast. So it was nice to be alone with Bill, sitting back to back on the blowup sled, just relaxing. CRASH CRASH CRASH. The sound of glass smashing and things falling - LOUDLY and a lot of them. Bill sat up, stunned, and just looked at me. Oh no, is she going to stream and start crying? I opened my mouth ... and started laughing, really loudly. Seriously, what else could I do? Something really horrible had just happened, and we had no idea what.

We walked into the kitchen, and three shelves in our pantry had collapsed from too many things being placed on them - the burden was simply too much to bear, and they all collapsed. How could we fail to see the beautiful symbolism? It didn't get past me, so as I sit here typing, thinking I need to be responsible for my parents, my husband, and all 4 of my kids (not to mention my readers, clients, students and friends) I realize I may placed one too many low-sodium chicken broths on my pantry shelf, and it's in serious danger of collapse, so I took some broths off the shelf, and cleaned up the pantry floor, threw out what we never used anyway, and put back half that was there before. That sounds about right in my life, as well - take back 1/2 of what I'd carried. Most of it wasn't even mine to carry - I'm just so used to it, just like the shelves were before they came crashing down. I don't want to crash. I just don't want to carry so much.

No comments: