Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Saturday, January 5, 2008

for one more day

As part of my New Year's "Revolutions" I'm finishing reading all of the "started" books in my extensive library. I don't have a count, but if you really need one, I'll get on that today. I thought I'd start small, so I picked up "for one more day" by Mitch Albom. I'd already read about half (why do we DO that? I have no idea...), so I thought it would be a quick one day read. Bill's in a reading challenge for school - they're supposed to read 1000 minutes by the end of the year for a present, but Bill figured out that if he read an hour a day, he could get over 5000 minutes in 12 weeks, and that would be a new world record for his teacher. And my son loves challenges (I wonder where he gets that from? Hmmm), so we get all sorts of juicy reading time now (no tv - thank goodness). So we curled up on our overstuffed striped couch in the front room, lit a blueberry cobbler soy candle from O'Day Cache (check them out - SERIOUSLY, they're FAB), sipped on our peppermint tea, and settled into a long reading session (my idea of heaven, and I'm not even kidding). This is what I read:

"Is Miss Thelma dying, too?"
"Soon," my mother said.
I stepped in front of her.
"Mom. Please?"
"She called for me, Charley."
We both looked toward the bed.
"Miss Thelma? She summoned you?"
"No, sweetheart. I came to her mind, that's all. I was a thought. She wished I was still around and could help her look pretty, not as sick, so here I was."
"A thought?" I looked down. "I'm lost"
My mother moved closer. Her voice softened. "Have you ever dreamt of someone who's gone, Charley, but in the dream you have a new conversation? The world you enter then is not so far from the world I'm in now."
She put one hand on mine. "When someone is in your heart, they're never truly gone. They can come back to you, even at unlikely times."


Seriously - goosebumps from head to toe - my trigger that something's True for me. Why did I read that on this particular day, out of all the thousands of books on my shelves? I don't know, but I did, and it's perfect. Absolutely perfect.

I continue to do my deep conscious breathing every day, I continue to take my antioxidants, I continue to meditate in the morning and at night, I continue to do my long-distance healing for my family and friends, I continue to keep the pace of my life slow enough so I can be here, I continue to see the beauty all around me and be thankful for it, I continue to be amazed at the abundance in my life - it's all filled to overflowing, and I love my life. And everything in it. For one more day...

No comments: