Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Land of Reality - Day 2

I washed the dirty blinds in our bathroom and cleaned the dust off the window ledge. I looked at it and thought, "This is clean, so why can't Mom be healthy and live longer?" I took a shower, flossed and brushed my teeth, put olive oil on my face and put on my makeup, then looked at myself in the mirror and thought, "I'm 100% clean, so why can't Mom be healthy and live longer?" I notice these things.

I gingerly step over the "incident" itself to the other side, to try on some different feelings. I see myself sitting quietly in a sun-drenched room, fully breathing in the pain. I see myself curled up on my bed, wrapped in my soft white blanket, crying, feeling alone. I see myself being brave, staying with Dad, just sitting with him and his enormous pain. I see myself hugging my other sisters, kindred spirits, motherless. I see myself reaching for the phone to call her, then realizing I have no mother to call. It's all a useless exercise, I know it is, but I like to be prepared. I've got control issues. I like to KNOW. But I won't know. I can't know until it's time. I have to stay present in each moment because that's all we've got anymore. Who knows what my world will look like 5 minutes from now? I know that's how it ALWAYS is, we never know, but this feels different, this Land of Reality. It feels, well, so present, if you know what I mean. But I'm choosing to stay here, and to strive to be as honest with myself and those around me as I possibly can. And I guess that's the best that anyone can ask for, right?

No comments: