Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Saturday, January 26, 2008

my hero

He dressed in my favorite blue suit, the dark one with the light blue stripes. He wore his Jerry Garcia tie and his North Dakota pin on his lapel. He kept lightly drumming his fingers on the table and looking around. Nobody else could tell he was nervous, but I've been with him 17 years. For him, that was nervous. It's been a while since he's been in front of the camera. As a county commissioner, he was used to the media - they were all friends, in fact. He still keeps in touch with one reporter who moved to Washington. But that's Steve - friends to all. We put up the posters and watched as the people came walking in. I'd even found blue and green Lindt chocolates to match Steve's campaign colors (blue and green). Melissa was there (thank you for your support) and Erik (my anchor and rock). Bill was at Andrew's house (thank you, Mary, for being such a godsend).

He'd practiced his speech - short, but to the point. He's interested in advocating for people - will make big businesses accountable for their actions - will develop wind energy to its fullest potential (Hello? North Dakota? Flat? Windy? Duh...). He's got experience, but he's fresh, as well - no deeply entrenched political experiences to bog him down. He's perfect. But then I'd say that - I'm his wife.

But it's more than that. While he was standing in front of the camera crews and audience, I could feel an energy from him - it was pure spirit, an enthusiasm and excitement to be doing what he loved. I think we should ALWAYS be doing that, don't you? So I'm excited for him, and for us, for this journey. I'm excited for the possibilities of his life and our future. I'm a little tired (I won't lie), but now it's Steve's turn to zigzag the whole state a few times, talking to all of the delegates before our state convention. But I told him, "Just be yourself. That's what's going to win you the election." Once you talk to Steve, you love him. He's easy to talk to, and he loves people - he just does. That's what being a public official is all about, isn't it? Or maybe it SHOULD be, but isn't always. But for Steve it is. His way of contributing back to the world.

Will he win? I doggone sure think so (even if he has a wife that says "doggone"). But we'll know more as time goes on. I'm just so thankful for everyone who showed up yesterday to show their support, and all the e-mails (thanks, you guys). And I'm thankful that Steve's so excited about this. Meet and greet (oh yeah, and drive...)

Off to the pinewood derby - Bill's car is uber-fast, so we're anticipating some kind of victory, then I don't know what. We've postponed our Minneapolis trip for a while - just too much going on. But that's okay - it's nice just to hang out, as well. So, a'hanging we will do... until I teach Sunday School tomorrow...

No comments: