Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Golden

I was only at Colorado College for my freshman year, some 30 years ago (am I really that old?). Basketball was still a big part of my world, and we started in with training right away. Because the elevation was so high, as opposed to North Dakota's elevation (898 feet), it was hard to get used to lack of oxygen, but we kept at it. I was really good for a freshman, and got to start, even - how exciting. I remember my very first game ever, because I'd gotten some er, issues in my intestines and needed to watch my food intake - heavy on the rice and apples, as I remember.

I loved basketball - the sound of the balls pounding on the wooden floors, the squeak of our shoes, the whistles blasting through the gym, the sweating, the focus. She was our coach. I remember her hair swirling across her forehead, and her beautiful cat eyes. I thought she was positively exotic, Laura Golden, our coach. I thought she was old, but then, I was only 18, so how old was old back then? Turns out she was 37 at the time (really old). I remember knowing that she loved to hike up mountains, then would take in the magnificent view while smoking. I remember thinking that was really silly, and I didn't quite get it.

I had a love/hate relationship with Laura that year, because when Betsy came back from volleyball, I was benched for the rest of the year (even though I was better than Betsy - really, I was - trust me). I had a really difficult time snapping out of that - I was used to being a star player, and one time Laura really let me have it - calling me a spoiled brat, and telling me to grow up and snap out of it, join the real world. Looking back on it, I'll have to think about the whole thing again. Sure, I tend to run toward spoiled - still do - but I also have a real sense of my worth, and I WAS a really good ball player. Should she have benched me just because Betsy was older? I don't know - I don't think so, but I'm not a coach so I can't really say for sure what logic they use.

I've thought about Laura and CC over the years. I went on to be a 3 time All-American (it's actually a standing joke in our family), and be really happy. I wondered what happened to all my friends - Irma with her long fingernails, Janyce, who could down whole jars of jalapeno peppers without flinching (I couldn't even lick one without screaming in pain), Anne and Lorna, my role model with her long black hair.

I got an e-mail a week ago. Laura had breast cancer, and wasn't expected to live much longer. I popped off an e-mail to her, telling her all about my memories, and what I had learned from her. I sent it the minute I got the e-mail. Two days ago they said that she'd died, at the age of 67. It's too young - I wonder what she looked like in those later years. And selfishly, I'm glad I've got everyone's e-mails so I can see what everyone's up to. It's all so fast, this life thing, and I know I talk about it a lot, but here it is again - death. So I'm thinking about Laura Golden today, and how she WAS golden, in so many ways.

God speed, Laura - on to your next adventure - one of your players wishes you well.

No comments: