Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sunday dinner

We invited my niece Rachel over for dinner tonight - homemade pork eggrolls, sweet and sour sauce (the thick kind with pineapple chunks in it), and fried rice. Then Steve informed me he'd be in Tuttle speaking. No worries, I thought, we'll still have Rachel over - it will be fun - just the four of us. Then Rachel e-mailed - she's sick, and can't come to dinner. No worries, I thought, we'll still have the three of us. So I cooked the onions, added the pork, then the oyster sauce, cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts and water chestnuts. I tried something new this time - I drained the whole batch in a colander to get the excess moisture out, then stored it out in the garage to cool it down a touch before I put the rolls together. The other times I think the insides were too hot, and the steam cut open the wrappers. I put the brown rice on to cook, cut up the green onions for the rice, got the eggs out, and assembled the plate and paper towels to stack the rolls.

I put the cornstarchy wrapper on the plate, then spooned a big glop of the mix into the middle. I wet my finger with cornstarch mixed with water and ran it along the whole outside edge, then wrapped the eggroll like a diaper. One down, 26 to go. I put a whole big bottle of canola oil on to heat to 350 degrees, careful to tell Bill to stay out of the kitchen for a while. That high heated oil really makes me nervous. I could cook 9 rolls at a time, pausing to scramble the eggs for the rice and let Rusty in from outside. I tented the rolls with foil to keep them warm, then mixed the scrambled eggs, green onions, bean sprouts and tamari sauce into the rice and stirred it all around. I made a double batch of everything but the sweet and sour sauce - I QUADRUPLED that (don't ask me why - I don't know). I put the sauce into a two-cup measuring cup and put it on the table, set it with three plates, three spoons, and three cups. Just Erik, Bill and me - that's a cozy Sunday dinner, isn't it? With all 27 rolls done, I dished us up, then called Bill to the table. We sat for a minute or two, waiting for Erik. But he didn't come. Finally, we ate without him. Just the two of us.

"That wasn't a very good Sunday dinner, " Bill said kind of sadly when we were done.

"Oh, I think it was," I replied. "Any time you and I are together is a party and a half."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Bill said, "Only I wish Dad were here, and Rachel, and Erik."

"Yeah, that would've been nice," I said, "but sometimes things are different, and that's okay, too, isn't it?"

"Yeah, I suppose it is," Bill said, taking another bite of his eggroll.

No comments: