Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Saturday, September 27, 2008

ahhhhhh



I love unique things, doing extraordinary things, novel things. Last night was no exception to this amazing fall of new adventures. I had no idea what to expect, as we'd never been in FULL dress before. I slipped my black turtleneck over my head, pulled on my two pair of tights, and let myself be "dressed." Then I had my makeup "done," and I admit - I felt like a famous model, being primped over - I'm NOT a primper. Having 4 older sisters and just one bathroom AND being on the basketball team for 10 years and only getting 3 minutes to go from sweaty to out the door, I never got the knack of "primping." So this is fun - really fun.

When Kyle was done with my makeup, I looked at everyone else looking at me. They all had kind of scared, slightly revolted expressions on their faces. Not so good. I looked in a mirror - the whole left side of my face was painted pure black, then smudged over to the right side of my face, with some brown patches worked in. Scary. Kind of like I'd been halfway charred. But good because the Giacometti statue looked like that. I walked in to the Green Room in full dress, and all the musicians said, "Whoa!" "I'm SO wearing this home tonight to play dress-up with my husband," I said in a smoky voice. "Keep it fresh," Deb, the flutist, said. The piece started - the Elmwood statue was first, then the Picasso, then the Divine Potter, then me. My heart was pounding. No, I wasn't nervous, but kind of nervous to wonder if I could stand on that pedestal and not fall over for the necessary time. They led me out, I stepped up into the device, stuck my chest and pelvis out, pushed my hands into my sides, all like the sculpture, then clenched my jaw (I'm sad and angry), and looked midway down. When Holly sang, "I can't see myself," I looked out coldly and slowly over the entire audience, and when she struck her final note, "Ah," a low D, I slowly lowered my head. Awesome.

The crowd went crazy for Holly's performance, screaming, standing for at least 5 minutes. They screamed when we statues walked out, and Holly went back at least 4 times to bow again. An overall amazing night, and one that I am SO grateful to have been a part of. Something creative, artistic, new, fresh. The next step? Another concert this Sunday at 2PM at the Plains. If you're in the mood for an experience, check it out. As for me for today? I'm off to assemble Bill kitty litter cake for his birthday party tonight, then who knows? The sky's the limit, baby, and I'm feeling ahhhhhhhh-some.

No comments: