Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Thursday, September 11, 2008

be brave

I don't feel brave right now. I got backed into a fear corner this afternoon, and kind of came unglued. Okay, I won't lie to you, I came unglued earlier this morning when my back started freezing up, then the pain crawled around to my lower stomach area, and it wouldn't let up. I just felt tired, overwhelmed, it's just too much. I had so much fun with Dad in Bismarck, but Bill called, still upset with everything, and I felt torn between trying to be his emotional support, and just trying to hold everything together. Don't get me wrong - I'm strong, I don't crack easily, but when I do, man, run for the hills, because there's a lot of cracking to do. And this afternoon I got the news from my dentist: my tooth is infected, and they either have to do a re-root canal to try to save it, or pull it, with some special techniques to put a titanium implant in, six months later, after it heals. Either scenario involves some things that scare me, but I won't get in to that. The point is this: I was driving back to Fargo tonight, instead of tomorrow, having missed the dinner party, but having gotten to cook for it, when I just kind of came unglued. That was a horrible sentence, but you know what? I'm not going to change it. Anyway, what does "unglued" mean to me? It was sort of like this floaty feeling, when I tried my darndest to run to the safest place I could think of, and just stay there. There MUST be a safe place where this tooth thing is concerned. But it doesn't look like there is. So I can't outrun the monster anymore - it's been hanging over my head for a year and a half, knowing it was probably infected, but not taking action - I was too scared. Me, scared? Heck, YES! But that's the point - while I'm driving, feeling just totally scared, I heard Mom's sweet voice in my head, telling me, "Be brave." I thought about what that meant. I think it means that I can still feel scared, or angry, or overwhelmed, or tired, but I can be brave. I haven't felt so brave lately - there are just too many things that scare me. Like what? Novacaine, sedation, anesthesia, something happening to my loved ones (and that's a pretty big circle), over-the-counter drugs, prescription drugs, diabetes, heart problems, cancer. Wait a minute - I see the connections - these are all things that either I've experienced, or those close to me have experienced. It's sort of like I gather all the "bad" stuff, then worry about it. See? Be brave.

I wonder how to do that. Should that be my mantra for the next while? Should I take some time to take care of myself so my body doesn't keep crumbling, wanting loving attention for the brave work it did these past months? Should I take a tae kwon do class and learn how to scream and kick a board? Should I go climb some more walls? I don't know, but I know this is my next lesson - to not be so afraid anymore. It's so tiring, really, it is, and I'm tired of being scared. I want to be brave all the time.

No comments: