Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Monday, July 9, 2007

Independence Day

Yes, I know it's Monday, but last Wednesday was almost the most fun 4th of July I've ever had. Peggy invited us out to the lake, and Steve, Bill, Kari, Erik and I all went. Nancy was there with her family, as well. What I remember most wasn't the beautiful two hour boat ride with 9 teenagers (and Bill), or cooking in the kitchen with my 3 sisters (Mary came over from her lake), or the jello flinging contest after dinner (the boys couldn't catch the jello from the 20 feet distance, but were really accurate from 5 feet and closer), but it came the next day, Thursday, when I met my 3 sisters at Billy's Corner Bar in Vergas. Bill kept saying, "You can tell you're related." At first we all laughed, then I started smiling, liking how that sounded. It's very important for me to feel a part of a community, to feel included, to feel accepted. Sometimes I don't feel that way, but I imagine that's more about me than about anyone or anything else. After lunch we walked to the Quiet Cricket, and they all bought me a bracelet for my birthday, then Nancy bought me a blue candleholder because everyone else had one. I bought a vase just like Peggy had, and Mary and I bought matching earrings.

As I sat in the car waiting for them to come back with their kuchens from the grocery store, I got tears in my eyes. I thought about going back home, wearing my earrings, knowing my sister Mary had hers, too. I thought about my beautiful vase, and how Peggy has the same one sitting on her counter. I thought of all of us lighting our candles and looking at the cut-out fish on the candleholder, and I felt like I was part of a beautiful group - it's private, it's exclusive, it's my sisters, and I'm one of them. I can't say why or how I felt that way, but it felt really good, and I still smile when I think about it. It's one thing for me to have my most fabulous best friends: Missy Pooh, Mags, Vicks, Carol, Donna, Chitra, Julia and Marie, to name a few, and they ARE family, but there's something about blood - it goes ALL the way back. My sisters have known me my whole life, when I wasn't a psychic and writer, when I was just a little kid who dressed kind of dopey and tattled a lot. They're not especially impressed with my accomplishments because they remember me stumbling in the backyard, trying to make a basket. They remember me typing the "Ekberg Tribune," my weekly newspaper in which I disclosed family goings-on. And our history is precious, and binding, no matter our differences. And I love my sisters, I love them a lot. And I know they love me. And that feels really great.

No comments: