Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Monday, April 7, 2008

hi-lite of my day

It was so good to see Mom and Dad. I cooked my "famous" french chicken cassoulet and risotto style barley for lunch, and made a quadruple batch of their favorite piquant meatloaf to freeze. I researched lighterweight wheelchairs for Mom, and even managed a trip to Barnes and Noble for some R&R. Oh, AND an ionic foot cleanse from the Dakota Natural Center - lovely. They loved the Reiki I'd done for them the night before, putting them both into a nice, deep sleep. It was hard to leave them - it always is. I feel guilty and badly when I'm in Fargo, that I'm not with them, helping, and I feel sad when I'm in Bismarck, missing Bill and Steve. Is it always that way? I suppose so. But I kissed them both good-bye and headed east. We had to get to the Harlem Globetrotters by 7PM.

I'd seen them when I was about Bill's age. I can only remember Meadowlark Lemmon, although I know there were a whole bunch of really great athletes and basketball players. Bill was so excited. I don't know how we landed such awesome seats, right down on the main floor, in the front, in the end court, but there we were. They came out to members of the audience, coaxing "Roxanne" to dance with them, throwing water on others. It was loads of fun. Bill bought a basketball to have the sign later. Hi-Lite left the game and came over to me, a 6'5" Harlem Globetrotter. He took my hand and started talking to me, telling me I was pretty. I was SO embarrassed, I started patting his hand. Seriously. Like you would a child's hand. He took his hand away, then brought it back and asked me to do it again, smiling for the crowd. I did, but I could feel my face burning red. Seriously. Bill says, in a kind of louder voice, "She's married, you know." I started laughing really loudly, and so did everyone around us.

After the game, we stood in line to get the ball signed, and there was Hi-Lite. He pointed at me and said, " I remember YOU," then gave me a high five. I suppose I have that "sucker" look to me, seeing as Globey, the mascot, tickled me horribly while we were getting our picture taken with him, but it's all in good fun, I'm thinking, and adding up the night's costs (the ball was $25!!), I thought of the Mastercard ad - Harlem Globetrotters tickets - $42.50, basketball - $25 - bavarian almonds - $4 - time with your son - PRICELESS. AND the hi-lite of my day, to be sure.

No comments: