Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Friday, October 24, 2008

Bras and Breast Awareness

Ah, my cup runneth over (in more ways than one). Last night's Bras on Broadway did NOT disappoint. I met with 4 of my bestest Divine Goddesses, dressed in my fishnets and Stuart Weitzman pointy booties (okay, YES, the same outfit as last Saturday's Symphony Rocks the Hub, but with the total cost of the outfit, I'm going to have to wear it every DAY to get my cost-per-wearing to a reasonable number), grabbed a white Zin with the Con-Meister, and perused the art. I am SO going to buy the great poster of the bras, seeing as I didn't get top bid on anything (one bra was up to $700 - too rich for my blood). I wanted Renee Danz's green moss with pink peace symbols SO badly, but oh well - they're just bras, right?

Deb Jenkins is THEE coolest person EVER, seriously, and I totally jammed out all night. We fluked on a sponsor's table right up front, and the Danz's, Bobbie and Joan, Linda and Joel (new friends) all joined us. I ran into about a billion other friends, and I can't remember when I've been this happy and filled up - I LOVE PEOPLE!!!!! I don't know if I can have that many exclamation marks in a row, but who cares? Happy is happy, right? Karen Stoker spoke about all of us banding together to get yearly mammograms, and I'm proud to say I not only got my yearly mammo, but got a DIGITAL one at Innovis, which is a much clearer picture (still hurts, though - I'm not going to lie). I get my yearlies regularly now, and all because of Deb. About 7 years ago, I blew mine off, too much going on. I told Deb about it, and she called me the next morning and said, "I couldn't sleep at all last night, thinking about how you said you blew your mammo off. I won't sleep until you promise me you'll get one, and every year after that." I got tears in my eyes - no one had ever cared that much, and I promised her. What an amazing thing she did for me, and I'll never forget it. She's a breast cancer survivor (I'd forgotten that), and knows the importance of regular screening.

So October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, or as goofy Stevie puts it, BREAST AWARENESS MONTH - what an appropriate focus for the men in our lives, right? Just being AWARE of breasts? Not such a silly idea, I guess, now that I think of it. So, even though I'm not so keen on the whole pink ribbon concept, I'm glad we're all getting healthier, loving and caring for our bodies more, and most importantly, I'm glad to have Bras on Broadway to make my life that much sweeter and fun. Ah..............

No comments: