Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Thursday, October 30, 2008

the Queen of Common Sense? Not

I had a little time after my client this morning, so I stopped in to see the cute new shop across the street fro the HoDo (sorry, I can't remember its name). I bought the CUTEST little pepper spray in a leather case with a peace sign on it. I drove home, then read the instructions. They encouraged you to give it a test run so you'd know how to work it in an emergency. I pulled into the garage, opened my car door, and sprayed a jet across the garage into the rack of winter survival gear. Oopsy, I thought, but that's okay - it will clear up before winter flies and I need to put the stuff in the back of my car. Then something hit my lungs and I started coughing, then my eyes started tearing up and I couldn't breathe. I jumped out of my car, opened up both garage doors and slammed the house door shut behind me.

I called Steve and said, "Please don't be angry with me," and he took a deep breath. Unfortunately, those words are not new to his ears. "I'll try not to be," he answered honestly. I told him what had happened, and the workmen who were standing there couldn't stop snickering. Yah, hip hop hilarious, guys. Steve made sure I hadn't sprayed it onto his hunting stuff, or everything would be able to smell him a mile off. I hadn't (I don't think). Then he said to leave the garage doors open for the rest of the day and not let Bill in there at all (he's got this nasty little cough that just won't go away). I think Steve sounded a bit miffed when he said good-bye, but I may be imagining it.

Queen of Common Sense? Okay, not so much, but my heart's in the right place. At least now I know how to protect myself, and hopefully if I need to use the cute pepper spray it won't be in a garage!

No comments: