Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Friday, October 31, 2008

Isaiah

I've talked to Bill about mean people. I tell him that if someone is nice, they will be kind to you. If someone loves themselves, they won't call you names. Don't be bothered by those people - consider that they may have a sad family life, or hard circumstances. We just don't know. But we certainly know it isn't about US. Yesterday at the park I heard Bill getting upset. I walked over and he was talking loudly to a little boy. The boy had called him a very unkind name. We've trained Bill in what to say.

Here's how it goes:
Stranger: You're stupid (or whatever - pick an unkind name)
Bill: That's your opinion, and it's my opinion that you're rude
Stranger: That was really stupid
Bill: And that's still your opinion - see how that works?

Or something like that. So I said, "Say it, Bill," and he did, albeit through deep breaths and starts and stops. I looked over at the other boy. He was frowning and standing apart from everyone else. He said Bill had called HIM a name, and on. You know the drill. The playground supervisor made the boy apologize, but still he stayed apart from everyone else, long after Bill had joined his two other friends and were off laughing. Don't get me wrong - I was mad. Kids always find something different about other kids then tease them about it - whatever "it" is. Everyone has their "its" so it doesn't make any sense to me. Still, I walked over to the boy and asked him his name. Isaiah, he said.

"What grade are you in?"
He told me.
"Who's your teacher?"
He told me, looking at me a little sideways. We talked a little more, I said good-bye and joined Bill.

Today I brought Halloween cookies to Bill's class for the Halloween party. As I walked down the hall I heard someone say, "Hi, Bill's mom!" I turned around.

"Isaiah!" I said, and gave him a hug. He gave me a big hug back, smiled, then walked away. Amazing. I'm just grateful that I was open enough to see the gift behind the dark, brooding look and unkind words. There's an angel in there. Maybe in some small way I helped Isaiah remember that, and remember who he really is.

No comments: