Dress Gray Coming Soon!!!

Be sure to watch here for the much-anticipated book of William Ekberg's memoirs, due out the end of May. A stunningly beautiful 440 hardcover that spans 87 years, including the Depression, WWII, life at West Point, the early broadcasting years in North Dakota, and so much more. Watch for the announcement to pre-order your special signed copy...

Thursday, October 16, 2008

reflections

Slowing down, breathing, enjoying the beautiful leaves on the trees (still), cooking soup and succotash (c'mon, you know you just love to say it - succotash), stretching when I first wake up, then rolling over and hugging my pillow for a few more minutes. Going from activity to activity still, but slower, more mindful, stopping to bake warm chocolate chippy cookies if need be, if only to snatch a little dough, stopping to talk to Rhonda for 1/2 hour at the grocery store today, picking my outfit to wear to Symphony Rocks the Hub on Saturday (yes, Peggy, I'm dressing to the nine's - whatever THAT means).

Why do I think I need to run at a breakneck speed all the time? Why do I need to justify every minute of the day? Why do I feel guilty for just wanting to rest? I sleep so deeply at night now (thank god) but am still tired most every day. Maybe it's a different kind of tired, I don't know. It doesn't matter - I'm going great guns at the school and church and Symphony, and it feels really good to be helping so much. I wrote a first draft of a new children's book today about Mom dying, from the child's perspective, of course. It's called, "Where Did Grammy Go?" I'm sure it will be a while in the editing process, but I've got the good bones of it down, at least.

Writing - that's my love right now. Dad says he doesn't know if we'll ever get his book finished. It may just be too hard, too painful, but I still have hope. I feel like I'm floating while I write, as if I haven't landed, and maybe I haven't. So what I really want to say is that today I think it's okay to float, to not quite know where I have landed, because I don't think I have, landed, that is. I think I'm still floating after being uprooted, and that's just fine. Thinking I should be grounded somewhere, or should be doing something else, or something more, just isn't productive thinking right now. So today? Today I smile, and roast the rosemary lamb and potatoes, and take deep breaths while I walk outside in this beautiful weather. Tomorrow? Who in the world knows? I don't know anything these days, and that's just fine for now.

No comments: